New Teachers Feature Part II

Reshini Premaratne, News Editor

Maggie Walker has welcomed 6 new faculty members for the 2015-16 school year. The latest installment of the new teacher features highlights Dr. Anderson and Mrs. Franson.

MLWGS website

As we continue to introduce new faculty members to the student body here at Maggie Walker, the Jabberwock is excited to present Dr. Anderson and Mrs. Franson.

Dr. Anderson has been teaching both history and humanities for thirteen years now at a wide variety of colleges and universities, including University of Kansas, Marymount University, and Neosho County Community College. In fact, Dr. Anderson currently teaches as a full-time Associate Professor of History at the Richard Bland College of William & Mary.

Dr. Anderson strongly believes that, “history is rooted in our humanity, and learning about it helps us understand ourselves.” Her favorite aspect of teaching is the self-satisfaction and sense of fulfillment that comes from not only teaching students the facts and stories that make up our history, but also riding along with them as they learn how much of an effect history can and does have on the present and future. More than anything, it is inspiring for Dr. Anderson to see the impact a course of study in history can have and how it can shape her students’ identities and senses of civic obligation, even at such a young age.

Overall, Dr. Anderson is also incredibly committed to ensuring that her students feel well-prepared and adequately armed with the knowledge and skills necessary for rigorous courses in college.

Over the past six weeks or so, Dr. Anderson has enjoyed watching Maggie Walker students live up to their reputation in the community – in both the level of intellectual curiosity and the enthusiasm for learning. Dr. Anderson also appreciates the fundamental collaboration present between faculty members and the clear support evidenced between teachers of even extremely different disciplines.

Especially at the high school level, sometimes it can be hard to find a faculty that sees past the administrative difficulties to provide an incredible and fostering environment for the students. Dr. Anderson has found that Maggie Walker perfectly marries its dedication to students’ educations and preparation for college with the enthusiasm the faculty has for the wide variety of courses taught here.

While Dr. Anderson is still learning to adjust to the constantly changing schedule and generating the flexibility necessary to work with high school students, she has really enjoyed getting to know all of her students and dive into the energetic pace and curriculum that Maggie Walker offers.

Similarly, Mrs. Franson has loved witnessing the development and study of Maggie Walker students because she, too, has noticed the apparent motivation and hard-working ethic of all grades. Mrs. Franson remarks, “I have always been impressed with the school.” Now, she is grateful to work at the same school that her grandson attends!

Mrs. Franson is excited to be teaching French at Maggie Walker this year.

Devon Bortz

Mrs. Franson is an incredibly experienced French teacher, having taught in Massachusetts, North Carolina, and even the Netherlands! Alongside working at Maggie Walker, Mrs. Franson works as a professor at Virginia Commonwealth University, and has previously taught at the University of Richmond.

For Mrs. Franson, teaching is the perfect avenue for working with teenagers about exciting languages and exotic cultures. She noticed that, “Maggie Walker students are highly motivated to experience as much as they can about the world in which they live.” This sentiment only further inspires her to continue her teaching endeavors.

Mrs. Franson has taken special notice of the sense of community at Maggie Walker – among peers, classmates, and even students and their teachers. These first few weeks at Maggie Walker have been wonderful for Mrs. Franson because it allows her to meet and get to know her students as individuals, and it also provides her with the opportunity to teach French again.

Both teachers are incredibly excited about being new additions to the Maggie Walker faculty this year and look forward to all that the coming year will bring!