Winter Sports Previews

Back to Article
Back to Article

Winter Sports Previews

The Wrestling Team placed 3rd at the Massanutten Invitational last weekend.

Julian Vaughn

Julian Vaughn

Julian Vaughn

Preston Hausser, Sports Editor

Boys’ Basketball

Dragon Basketball began its 2015-16 campaign on November 30th. Although they would lose this match to King William 48-44, the Green Dragons showed signs of improvement as a team from the year before. Zach Jacobs is gone, having reclassifying to the Class of 2017 and transferring to Trinity Episcopal, but a major portion of the junior class returns to lead the starting squad. Captains Tommy Snead (’16), Jake Morris (’16) and Will Sherrill (’16) make most of the starting lineup, while John Blue (’17) and Jack McGrath (’17) fill in the 4-5 spots. Both Blue and McGrath become more important pieces of Coach Parker Kirwan’s offense this season. Matthew Pinson (’17) and sharpshooter Michael Patina (’17) will make up a good amount of the scoring from the bench and Jaylaan Bell-Colley (’16) will also provide support for the Dragons. The boys had a big game against Appomattox on Tuesday and will also face a good matchup with Nandua on December 18th. Come January, MLWGS will face Appomattox again on January 15th and will get a rematch with Lee-Davis January 7th.

Girls’ Basketball

The Lady Dragons Basketball team are already off to a fast start in 2015 after a win against conference rival King William on November 30th. Having lost three starters, including star Cynthia Ong (’15), to graduation the girls will look to captain Natalie Weinberg (’16) and Ashley Rice (’16) to lead the younger team to a successful season. Mariko Lewis (’17) returns her incredible ball skills while the point guard position will be split between three different players. Captain Weinberg hopes the introduction of strong freshmen like Emma Ragone, Annabel Tripodi and Lisa Qin will make an immediate impact. MLWGS has important games against Nandua December 18th and Appomattox January 15th.

Boys’ Indoor Track

The MLWGS Boys’ Indoor Track Team look for their 3rd consecutive state championship in the 2015-16 season as they recover from the loss of 5 key senior runners. Senior captains Zach Bampton, Evan Fisher and Robert Hicks lead a strong squadron of Maggie Walker runners including cross country state champion Ryan Buscaglia (’17). Also in the mix are Max Frankel (’17), Evan Fisher (’17) and freshmen Nathaniel Gregory and Jack Jeffrey. The boys have a very centralized approach, as Bampton quotes, “Indoor is all about not losing track of the important things, indoor is about focus.”

Girls’ Indoor Track

The MLWGS Girls Indoor Track looks to three-peat in 2015-16 behind the strong leadership of senior captains Emma Call, Celia Wilson and Shanthi Hiremath. The girls look toward Khloe Pointer (’17), Josie Martin (’18) and Megan Lee (‘18). Besides winning another state championship, the Lady Dragons are looking towards nationals, where they hope to send a Sprint Medley Relay Team to compete against top competition from across the nation. Good luck to the girls as well.

Boys’ Swimming

The MLWGS Boys’ Swimming Team looks to senior captains Charlie Preston and Kyle Knachel to lead the team to another successful season in 2015-16. Aided by key swimmers Hunter Collins (’16), Nick McClure (’17), Tory Farmer (’17) and Jake Holweger (’18), the boys will strive for their first state championship in school history. Look for all of these swimmers to place at the HAWK Invitational on December 19th.

Girls’ Swimming

Led by captains Emma Bilski (’16) and Isabella Ragazzi (’16), the MLWGS Girls Swim Team looks to follow-up their 2015 Regional Championship with another trophy in 2016.Most of the strongest swimmers on the team this year are upperclassmen, showcasing some experience. Isabell Russell (’17), Christine Kemmerly (’17), Sabrina Sampson (’17) and Gabriela Monasterio (’16) look to lead the team in most meets. Kaylie Lundgren (’18) showcases the sophomore talent and Allie Bekenstein (’18) represents the strongest diver on the team. The girls are already looking to February and the state championships.