Basketball Mid-season Report

Preston Hausser, Sports Editor

The Maggie Walker gym is eerily quiet as John Blue (’17) lets go of the ball from 3-point range. Then a swish is heard, and the gym is no longer silent. Green Machine explodes as the entire student body jumps out of their seats following Blue’s basket. As both the girls and boys faced the Appomattox Dragons in a rivalry matchup, much was at stake.

Both teams have had exciting seasons so far. At the moment, the boys  are 1-9, while the girls are 4-6. The Lady Dragons have had a successful season, upsetting Douglas Freeman on the road, while also notching victories against King William, Thomas Jefferson and Nandua. The boys have lost some heartbreakers, namely against Nandua 62-57, a trip that included more than six hours of driving.
The girls and boys look to have bright futures in up-and-coming players for 2016-17, especially on the girls’ team. Freshmen Annabel Tripodi, Lisa Qin and Emma Ragone already execute for the Lady Dragons, sometimes even feature in the starting lineup. For the boys, Michael Patina (’17) and Matthew Pinson (’17) have made immediate contributions, Patina from 3-point range and Pinson from everywhere else on the court. Patina will more than likely join Pinson, Blue (’17) and Jack McGrath (’17) in the starting lineup come next year.