Urine for a Delight!

Reshini Premaratne, News Editor

Urinetown opens on March 3rd.

Urinetown opens on March 3rd.

In exactly one week, Maggie Walker students will present yet another musical to add to our school’s repertoire. Urinetown, a satirical comedy of a town forced to use public restrooms owned by a private company during a water shortage, includes both drama and romance, and is sure to live up to the standards of past musicals.

Actors and members of the stage crew spoke very highly of this year’s musical and cast. Brenda Hayes (’18), a lead in this year’s musical, said, “I joined the musical because MLWGS Drama is like a little family, and we all love each other. It’s really nice to know you have a support system in a cast because we’re all trying our best to achieve a high quality, but at the same time, produce some high quality grades.”

Brannon Linder (’16), another lead in the musical, echoed those same sentiments. He said, “I get to see how incredibly talented some of the people at our school are and how they have improved over the years. That type of awe just feels amazing to me.”

I joined the musical because MLWGS Drama is like a little family, and we all love each other.”

— Brenda Hayes

As the Stage Manager, Set Designer, Artistic Director, and Light Designer of Urinetown, Emma Bilski (’16) also conveyed deep appreciation for working with the cast. She said, “My favorite part of preparing for any show is getting to know the people in the cast and crew and watching them grow. As stage manager you really get to see all of the actors come into their own on the stage and in their characters, and it is so rewarding to watch all of our hard work come to fruition.”

In the same vein, Linder could not help but gush about his entire experience as a member of the cast for Urintown. “There’s so much to love about being in the musical I don’t know where to start. I get to sing, I get to dance, I get to make people laugh, I get to act, and I get to make new and stronger friendships with my fellow thespians,” he said.

Beginning with auditions and callbacks in mid-January and rehearsals thereafter, the musical preparation will culminate with three showings of Urinetown in the auditorium from March 3rd-5th. However, the rehearsals that have spanned almost two months have not been without obstacles. When asked about the most difficult part about preparing for the musical, Hayes quickly said, “The snow days! We lost a lot of rehearsal time because of them, so we’ve had to press through material super quickly.” Indeed, the large amount of snow days and rehearsal cancellations due to dangerous weather has proven to be quite a difficulty for the cast and crew of the musical.

I get to sing, I get to dance, I get to make people laugh, I get to act, and I get to make new and stronger friendships with my fellow thespians.”

— Brannon Linder

Bilski, a senior, shed light on some of the other obstacles faced during the preparation period and how she manages to overcome them. She said, “It can get tiring, it’s very time consuming, and you often feel overwhelmed, but this whole process is so amazing, and, especially for this show, you have to appreciate the bad, particularly when its the last MainStage production you’ll get to be a part of.”

If you are still in search of a good reason to see the musical, listen to the words of Brannon: “For the love of God come to this musical because it such a funny show (especially because all of the actors are so funny). Every single character at some point in this show gets a laugh. It’s witty, it’s self-aware, it’s absurd and it’s SUCH a good show.”

Urinetown will be playing March 3rd—5th. Tickets can be purchased at the door, $10 for students and $12 for adults!