Winter Sports Finish Mixed Season

Preston Hausser, Sports Editor

Joe Paul stands on the pedestal after capturing gold in the 106-pound weight class at the 2A State Tournament.

Photo courtesy of Joe Paul

Wrestling

Walker Wrestling enjoyed its most successful season in school history with sophomore Joe Paul (’18) taking home gold in the 106-pound weight class, the school’s first ever individual champion. After winning the conference tournament, the team placed in both the regional and state competitions. Seniors Frankie Celentano (’16) and Parker Matthew (’16) both finished sixth in the state competition, a strong finish to a successful high school career.

Boys’ Basketball

The MLWGS boys’ basketball team gritted through a disappointing year in 2015-16 after losing phenomenon Zach Jacobs due to transfer prior to the start of the season. After finishing 2-14 (with both wins coming over rival Appomattox), the Dragons look to next year to fix the ills of this “rebuilding” year. Tommy Snead (’16) and Jake Morris (’16) will be the only graduating starters, leaving juniors Jack McGrath (’17), John Blue (’17), and Matthew Pinson (‘17) to lead next year’s team. Michael Patina (’17) will step into a more integral role and Ben McGuigan (’17) is slotted to return from a year-long absence as the Dragons look to take back 2A.

Girls’ Basketball

After finishing the season 6-14, the Lady Dragons have gone 2-1 in the 2A playoffs, winning the first ever regional tournament game in school history behind the firepower of the freshmen trio Lisa Qin (’19), Emma Ragone (‘19), and Annabel Tripodi (’19). Unfortunately, the girls’ season came to an end against Wilson Memorial on Tuesday night, but 2016-17 looks bright as the girls return all three freshmen and prolific scorer Mariko Lewis (’17).

Boys’ Swimming

For the third year in a row, the MLWGS boys’ swim team has finished second at the 2A State Tournament. Although this leaves a bitter taste in the mouths of the Dragons, there were many bright spots in the 2016 campaign. After a successful season, Jake Holweger (’18) finished off his sophomore year with a gold medal in the 100-yard breaststroke, while Cade Elliot (’18) earned a few silvers as well.

Girls’ Swim & Dive

The MLWGS swim girls show off their state championship trophy after their victory on Sunday.

Photo courtesy of Olivia Ratliff.

The Lady Dragon Swim & Dive team brought home their second state title in school history. Olivia Ratliff (’17) led the girls, winning two individual gold medals (100 fly and 500 free) and two relay medals with teammates Gabriela Monasterio (’16), Quinn Keatley (’19) in the 200 medley relay, and Isabella Dula (’18), Kaylie Lundgren (’18) and Olivia Willis (’19) in the 400 free. Allie Bekenstein (’18) placed first in the one meter dive.

The track team poses with their state championship trophy.

Photo courtesy of Jenn Fisher

Indoor Track

Both the boys’ and girls’ indoor track teams won the Conference 33 Championship. Although the regional tournament was cancelled, both teams will compete in the 2A state championship this upcoming weekend aiming for a three-peat, before beginning the outdoor season in the spring.