Spring Sports Previews

Preston Hausser, Sports Editor

Claire Schweiker ('16) fends off George Mason defenders while Grace Brickley ('18) looks on. The girls are aiming for a state championship this year.

Photo courtesy of the Richmond Times-Dispatch
Claire Schweiker (’16) fends off George Mason defenders while Grace Brickley (’18) looks on. The girls are aiming for a state championship this year.

Girls’ Soccer
For two straight years the MLWGS girls’ soccer team has seen their seasons (and their state championships) disappear in the final 2A game to George Mason. This year, captains Natalie Weinberg (’16) and Claire Schweiker (’16) have made it their goal to take down their rival, while also doing some damage in the Colonial District. Weinberg believes the sophomore and junior classes will be great help to a team that relies on depth to succeed. The Dragons will also place their faith in seasoned stars like keeper Gracie Young (’17) and Sabrina Daglish (’17), committed to Akron and Loyola, respectively.

Boys’ Soccer
After losing close to half of the starters from 2015, new coach Jeff Jamaleldine looks to fill the empty spots with young talent, namely underclassmen Diogo Albuquerque (’19), Brooks Eason (’18) and Alex Daglish (’18). The younger players will be supported by the older core of Tucker Collins (’16), Stephen Smith (’16) and keeper Gordon Hadley (’16). A perennial 2A contender, the Dragons will rely on their stars and their young talent to carry the team through a brutal Colonial District gauntlet into the 2A playoffs, where they hope to make a mark for themselves.

Boys’ Track and Field
After the conclusion of the winter season, the MLWGS boys’ running program has now won eight straight state titles and will look to finish the upcoming spring with a 2A triple three-peat.  This spring the Dragons will race in some major meets, namely the Lee-Davis Invitational and the Dogwood Invitational at UVA. Robert Hicks (’16) will return from an extended injury to maintain dominance in the hurdles and sprinting events while Michael Buckberg (’17) has been working hard to possibly break some school records in shotput and discus. For long distance, Evan Fisher (’16) and Ryan Buscaglia (’17) are also striving to PR and possibly set more school records.

Girls’ Track and Field
UVA-commit Emma Call (’16) has distinguished herself as one of the top long distance runners in the country, breaking a state record for the 1600. Shanthi Hiremath (’16), who is committed to Dartmouth, will continue her dominance in almost every sprinting, hurdles, pole vault and triple jump event she enters and Khloe Pointer should look to take the crown in the 3200. The MLWGS 4×400 relay team looks to be especially strong this spring as well.

Girls’ Tennis
Anna Soffin (’18) returns as the anchor for MLWGS Girl’s Tennis and will be joined by star freshmen Narmeen Rashid and Katy Werwath to complete the top 3. Soffin, who won the single’s state tournament last year, will look to repeat in 2016, while the team will try to improve altogether, hoping to join their star in victory lane come June.

Pierce Tarry ('17) is the 1-seed this year.

Photo courtesy of Samuel L. Tarry, Jr.
Pierce Tarry (’17) is the 1-seed this year.

Boys’ Tennis
The boys’ tennis team is another MLWGS athletics team striving for a repeat championship. Captain Pierce Tarry (’17) moves into the role of 1-seed, after state champion Karl Katlaps (’17) decided to take a year off from the sport. Upcoming players like William Hobbs (’19) and Nate Taminger (’18) will look to fill the empty spots left by last year’s seniors.

Baseball
After the most successful season in school history to date, the MLWGS baseball team looks to improve upon their state semifinal appearance in 2015. Led by William & Mary commit Forrest Smith (’16), the Dragons plan to gain big wins against district rivals this year then run the table once the 2A playoffs begin, exacting their revenge on Strasburg and Virginia High. Frankie Celentano (’16), Nathan Berry (’16) and Matthew Pinson (’17) will maximize the offensive effort while juniors Henry Haas (’17) and James Wyatt (’17) will perform on the mound on the days when Pinson plays third base.

Softball
The softball team returns a majority of their starters from last season, many of whom represent the sophomore class, including Abby Barber (’18), Kenzie Miller (’18), Emma Roby (’18) and the pitcher Kelly Richters (’18). Grace Glaubit (’17) will take over as captain while the Lady Dragons try to make dents in the Colonial District and Conference 33 while also filling the holes in a lineup that lost several starters from 2015.