Looking Back on Four Years

Claire Mendelson, Editor-in-Chief

Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 6.52.54 AMYesterday, members of the class of 2016 assembled on the front steps of the school, posing in their green caps and gowns for a photo to commemorate graduation. Earlier this week, soon-to-be members of the class of 2020 assembled in the gym and cafeteria to register for classes, clubs, and sports. One class exits, another class enters. Four years goes by fast.

During my four years involved with the Jabberwock, the paper has published articles about a new director, budget cuts, dress code protests, and state championship titles. This year, I’ve watched as the student body has come together over the tragic passing of Izzy McKinney, united in the goal of cancelling midterms, and rallied around our Honor Council. These past four years have seen setbacks and obstacles, but these past four years have also been marked by exciting new changes, successes, and triumphs. Throughout it all, one thing has remained the same – it’s the people here who make this school so amazing.

Administrators often go unrecognized, but they work tirelessly behind the scenes to ensure that everything at our school runs smoothly. From coordinating events to figuring out the budget, the administration is an integral part of our school. The staff also works hard to provide us with unique opportunities, and they make every effort to ensure we feel comfortable here.

The teachers at this school are unparalleled in their passion, knowledge, and dedication. In addition to covering the curriculum, they challenge us and inspire us, truly going above and beyond and always supporting their students.

Finally, the student body here is absolutely incredible. Students balance a rigorous course load while engaging in a wide array of extracurricular pursuits – but we are more than achievements delineated on college applications, more than high standardized test scores. We are a community. The Maggie Walker student body creates an atmosphere of trust and collaboration, supporting each other through the good times as well as the bad.

Yesterday, my classmates and I donned our graduation gowns for a photo on the front steps, but the next time we dress in these green robes, we will be graduating for good. Over the past four years, each member of the class of 2016 has in some way left their mark on the school, and as we enter into college and then our careers, the mark Maggie Walker has left on us will remain.

To borrow an oft-quoted line from Charles Dickens, “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times” – but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.