New Year, New Teachers

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Year, New Teachers

Ms. Anthony, Maggie Walker's newest Global Studies teacher

Hannah Scaparo, Photographer/Website Editor

This year, Maggie Walker welcomes two dynamic new teachers to its community: Ms. Anthony, who teaches Global Studies, and Ms. Bradner, who teaches Spanish. The Jabberwock will be featuring both of these new teachers in order to give students and faculty alike a chance to get to know them better.

Filling the gap left by Mr. Smith’s hire as Coordinator of Administration is Ms. Anthony, who will be teaching some of Maggie Walker’s Global Studies classes. Ms. Anthony has been teaching social studies in Henrico since 2000 and has experience teaching AP and Honors level classes, making her the perfect fit for the intense learning environment that Maggie Walker offers. Before coming to Maggie Walker, she taught in the Humanities Specialty Center at Hermitage High School for 9 years, and she will now bring her knowledge of humanities and history to Maggie Walker’s community.

Ms. Anthony believes that her love for social studies comes from her interest in exploring and studying other cultures. She relishes her ability to teach others about different cultures, and thinks of herself as a fun-loving teacher who hopes to make history something pleasant and likeable for all of her students. Ms. Anthony commented that she’s had a great first few days at Maggie Walker, and that she’s had no problems whatsoever, an experience she hopes will continue throughout the year.

Although she has only been at Maggie Walker for a short period of time, Ms. Anthony has already noticed the hardworking nature of students here, and says that she has found all of her students to be “really sharp, and dedicated to learning.” The seriousness with which education is taken at Maggie Walker has already impressed her, and she is eager to continue working with such determined students.

Ms. Bradner, a native of Peru, will be filling the position left by Mr. Quintero, who left to begin teaching at the college level full-time. Ms. Bradner graduated from Instituto Nacional Pedagogico Monterrico and has taught at several schools over the past 16 years, including one in Peru. She has also taught at Blessed Sacrament and VCU. Ms. Bradner brings to Maggie Walker not only a plethora of different experiences, but also the knowledge of a native Spanish speaker.

Ms. Bradner feels that it’s important for her to teach her students about Hispanic culture and her personal experience with the Spanish language: “I think you might find a lot about [it] in books, but there is nothing better than the personal experience or perspective of a native speaker.” She finds teaching to be rewarding and loves having the opportunity to know so many people and learn new things every day. The only aspect of her teaching job which she doesn’t particularly enjoy is grading papers and exams, but she finds teaching as whole to be extremely worthwhile.  Ms. Bradner emphasizes that she wants her students to know that she’s always there to help, and to “feel free to say ‘hi’ in Spanish and ask me any other questions they might have regarding the language or culture,” if you ever come across her outside of class.

So far, Ms. Bradner says she has found Maggie Walker to be fantastic, and she has great respect for the school’s community atmosphere, especially concerning how well everyone seems to get along and work together.“My colleagues have been very welcoming and helpful, often checking if they could assist me with anything. Also, I couldn’t have asked for a better Department Chair; Dr. Grois has been very patient with me guiding me through the whole process.” In all, Ms. Bradner is overjoyed to be starting off the year in an environment that is so motivational, inspiring, and filled with expertise.

Both Ms. Anthony and Ms. Bradner seem prepared to tackle the upcoming school year with enthusiasm and are looking forward to connecting more with both their students and with the school community as a whole.