Who’s Committed?

Preston Hausser, Sports Editor

As college application season hits full stride for many Maggie Walker seniors, three Green Dragon student-athletes have already made their decisions on where they will be attending school come next fall. Gracie Young (’17), James Wyatt (’17) and Sabrina Daglish (’17) will all be graduating in the spring, and the Jabberwock congratulates all three of them on their successes on the field and in the classroom.

Gracie Young, Soccer, University of Akron

akron       Gracie has been the starting goalkeeper for the varsity girl’s team since her freshman year, anchoring the defense in two different state championship games. She had wanted to play collegiate soccer for a long time, and was contacted by the Akron coach in her sophomore year through her goalie coach. Although not officially sold on the campus at first, the Zips grew on her and she made a verbal commitment on January 3rd of this year. Gracie turned down offers from Richmond and Arkansas-Little Rock. Gracie is more than excited to start her collegiate career at Akron, a nationally-renowned “soccer school”.

Sabrina Daglish, Soccer, Loyola University Maryland

loyolaAs an underclassman, Sabrina was the most prolific scorer on the soccer team, but decided to take a year off from school ball to better prepare herself for the recruitment process. Loyola Maryland was the first college to contact her and she was extremely impressed by the coaching staff and the environment of the university. She is still figuring out whether or not she’ll play for the Green Dragons in the spring, but either way she will represent Maggie Walker positively upon her matriculation to Baltimore.

James Wyatt, Baseball, Virginia Wesleyan College

va-wesleyan        James has been a four-year starter for the baseball team, winning a state championship in 2016. He’s excited to continue his playing career at Virginia Wesleyan next fall, a small, liberal arts school in Norfolk. James’s summer showcase circuit earned him his first offer, the one he accepted within the first week. VWC stresses academics for their student-athletes, which James wishes to take advantage of through a 5-year engineering program with Old Dominion.