Spectacular New Staff: Mr. Edwards

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spectacular New Staff: Mr. Edwards

Mr. Edwards, Maggie Walker's newest security guard

Hannah Scaparo

Hannah Scaparo

Hannah Scaparo

Veronika Matysiak

Mr. Carlton Edwards is thrilled to be back at Maggie Walker. Mr. Edwards attended Maggie Walker many years ago and has returned now as the Director of Security, taking the position left by his old friend, Mr. Charles. “When I had the opportunity to come back, I just grabbed that opportunity,” he said.

Mr. Edwards brings Maggie Walker more than 30 years of experience in policing and law enforcement. Mr. Edwards previously worked as a police officer at Virginia Commonwealth University and Virginia Union University, working his way up to Chief of Police at both institutions.

Although he enjoyed the ever busy and bustling environment of college campuses, Mr. Edwards particularly likes the palpable atmosphere at Maggie Walker, especially “the camaraderie and vibrancy.” Part of what he finds special about working in a high school is simply interacting with students. Not only does Mr. Edwards hope that the students will learn from him, he also hopes to gain valuable insight from the students.

In addition to enforcing rules and making sure students are safe, Mr. Edwards would like to make his own mark on the school. “It’s amazing to come back into the environment and seeing some of the nice changes to the school since I left some time ago,” Mr. Edwards explained. He also noted, being here again, “makes you back reflect on when I was in high school.”  Coming back to the same school you attended years ago can be difficult, seeing all the change that has occurred, but Mr. Edwards takes it all in stride. “I think that’s a good thing.”

His experience so far has been great. Students and staff have fully embraced Mr. Edwards as an essential part of the Maggie Walker community. The feeling of finally coming home and working in an environment as unique and caring as this school are much appreciated by Mr. Edwards as he begins a new part of his career.