What to Expect at Fall Fest

Back to Article
Back to Article

What to Expect at Fall Fest

Fall Fest 2015

Fall Fest 2015

Yashna Nainani

Fall Fest 2015

Yashna Nainani

Yashna Nainani

Fall Fest 2015

Makenzie Shearer, Assistant Editor

Let’s face it: September is a struggle. From new syllabi to the first test of the year, everyone understands the challenges  of getting back into school, no matter their grade level. But in due time October will be here, and that means one thing. One desperately anticipated, always celebrated, long awaited event: Maggie Walker’s annual Fall Festival.  

A quick survey taken of the student body showed that people most enjoy the booths and food at Fall Festival (especially the food). That’s why many will be pleased to hear that there will be such a large number and variety of booths at this year’s Fall Festival, most of which will be run by several of the clubs, teams, and honor societies from Maggie Walker. The National Honor Societies for Japanese, Chinese, Thomas Jefferson, Art, French, Spanish, Mu Alpha Theta, and Tri-M will all be present at the event. As for the clubs, let’s just say that picking only a few club booths to check out will be about as difficult as it is to hear yourself think next to the stage (for those of you who aren’t aware, that’s virtually impossible); Liberty in North Korea, Investment, Ping Pong, Chess, Arabic, Garden, ASL, Programming, Engineering, Generation Action, SECSEE, Russian, Appalachian Heritage Music, UNICEF, Robotics, Spanish, Creative Writing, Bhangra, Classics, Italian, French, Fellowship of Christian Students, German, and Club Asia are all clubs that will be present! Even more booths will be hosted by MW Drama, MW Sprint Team, Debate Team, FPS, The Fringe Magazine, Music Orchard, Future Medical Professionals, Pugwash, Model UN, Mental Health & Disabilities Awareness, United Sisters and Brothers, Dragon’s Lair, Forensics, Women’s Anti-Poverty Initiative, Gender and Sexuality Alliance, Model Congress, Young Republicans, Dance Team, TSA, Young Democrats, Foundation, SCRIP, Middle East and North Africa Seminar, Academic Quiz Bowl, Inlight Richmond, and there’s even a booth for each of the classes. If that wasn’t enough, the PTSA will be providing several games.

Out of 27 responses to an online survey, 13 mentioned, to some degree, that the food served at the event was one of their favorite things about Fall Festival last year. Michael Buckberg (’17) stated that the “food from different cultural clubs” was certainly his favorite aspect of last year’s Fall Festival, and he couldn’t be more right; no matter what you’re craving, that food is just about guaranteed to be available. Kallia Smith (’17), one of the Classical Club’s leaders, informed the Jabberwock that “Latin Club and Italian Club will be selling super yummy Italian and Greek food!” But these Mediterranean sandwiches-both paninis and gyros-will not be the only mouth-watering indulgences. Delightful cupcakes, tantalizing chocolate covered bacon, and Nutella croissants will also be available, not to mention the fantastic soft pretzels, milkshakes, apple donuts, baklava, and snow cones.

Is this still not tickling your insatiable taste buds? Then surely you can win a prize or three from the numerous raffles (one of which may or may not involve Sugar Shack). Other games and activities will include lantern making, spin the wheel, and corn hole. You can even test your aim at a carnival game from Pugwash, which will involve shooting water guns at laminated pugs.

Those who aren’t there for the food can still enjoy the event’s incredible music performances.For Panth Doshi (’17), the best part of the previous Fall Fest was “hanging out with friends and just enjoying a lot of the entertainment.” “Shakespeare readings from the drama club” were a standout performance to Riley Vail-Rhodes (’19), and James Caven (’17) was especially entertained by “the performance by AHMC.”  The music classes at Maggie Walker – Band, Orchestra, and Chorus – are also responsible for performances at the event each year. “We have been putting a lot of effort into this performance and we are looking forward to Fall Fest” said Jack Strader (’19), a violinist in the Advanced Orchestra. Whether you’re up for some music, comedy, drama, or just something to keep your eyes glued and your ears entertained, there’s sure to be something delightful on the stage.

But most importantly of all, the Fall Festival is a fantastic social event. From working together at booths to enjoying the abundance of food, there are always chances to meet new people, and even make new friends (especially you, freshmen). Erin Buckley (’19) said that her favorite aspect of last year’s festival was “getting to know everyone in my class because we were all still relatively new, so it was nice connecting with both the people in my class and the upperclassmen.” Zada Hall made a concurring statement, saying that she most enjoyed “hanging out with friends.” The overall atmosphere of the event simply emanates fun.

So make sure to mark your calendars; Fall Festival is coming up October 7th from 4 – 8 pm. Make sure to check out the Facebook page for more information (search “MLWGS Fall Festival” and like the page to receive updates)!