We’re In This Together

Cole Mier, Opinions Editor

Let me begin this with a caveat: I know you don’t care about what I have to say about this election. I am a fifteen-year-old sophomore. For me to insinuate that I can either introduce any new or relevant insight on how this happened and how we can move forward would simply be false. I am unable to match the accuracy and eloquence of Van Jones’ comments on the ‘white lash’ of this election, or even the sophisticated courageousness displayed in a facebook post by Maggie Walker’s own Omar Karim.. Luckily, I am not here to provide analysis on the Electoral College, the racial barriers in our nation, or what a Trump victory means to our everyday lives. Instead, I am here to write about how this election affected me. Not the nation, not my peers, not my family. Just me. I know for a fact that this is a perspective you cannot find in The New York Times.

I woke on Wednesday, November 9th, to the sound of sobbing. As I walked through school, numerous morose faces greeted me in the halls. About a week later, Saturday Night Live opened with a melancholic cover of “Halleluiah” and not biting commentary and witty comedy. People were upset. So, what did I think? Frankly, I was scared. I like to have control over every aspect of my life, and the idea of a Trump presidency threw a wrench into all of that.

With that said, I also cannot handle my anxieties and cope with my insecurities, thus my immediate response was the cover it up. “You know, good for him,” I thought. “Everyone said he was going to fail, yet he succeeded against all odds. No matter how much I disagree with him, credit is due where credit is due.” I do not know if I am the only one who had that thought, but if I am not alone, let me say: No. We are wrong. Did Trump beat the odds? Yes. But he did so by feeding an uneducated base of voters’ racist and bigoted propaganda and lies. Congratulations are not due to a man who took the easiest and most shameful route.

The one other reaction that swept over me as I attempted to comprehend the changing landscape of our nation was, “No matter how bad this gets, the results will not hamper my well being.” After seeing this sentence typed out in front of my own two eyes, I am frankly disgusted that I could have this thought. Yet, I understand why . In a time of new variables, shifting morals, and revolutionary attitudes, it is human nature to secure your own position in life before checking on the well-beings of others. Regardless, this standpoint is wrong. It is not murky, muddled, or relatable. It is simply wrong. If you do not agree with me on a moral level, then at least look at a historical example. While I hate to go to such an extreme example, the Holocaust only happened because the safety of minorities was deemed secondary to individuals looking out only for themselves. Due to this lack of consideration for others, an entire people were nearly exterminated. Could something of this magnitude ever occur in Trump’s America? The answer is no, but it still serves as a telling reminder of what is right and what is wrong.

As I reach my word limit on this article, I have also reached an unexpected conclusion. This piece is not me venting and ranting for the whole student body to see. No, it is a message to the more privileged members of the student body, if not the entirety of Maggie Walker’s population, that complacency is not an option. Our fearfulness of the future is not a negative emotion; it is entirely valid. We must not cover it up with excuses and false hope, but convert that trepidation into action. By being honest with ourselves, we will be honest with each other. This is the only way progress can be made.