Taking a Stab at Shakespeare

Back to Article
Back to Article

Taking a Stab at Shakespeare

Michael White

Michael White

Michael White

At a time when real-life political drama seems all too abundant, MLWGS offers a refreshing classical perspective with their fall play “Julius Caesar.” Directed by Foster Solomon, and produced by Carol Piersol, the play runs from Thursday, November 17 to Saturday, November 19, at 7pm each night.

Director Foster Solomon is no stranger to Maggie Walker Drama, but returns to his role for the first time since directing “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” in the 2011-2012 season. “Caesar” also represents MLWGS Drama’s first major Shakespeare production since “Twelfth Night” in 2013.

For many Maggie Walker students, the show is their first entrée into the drama department. Freshman Jack Honig (`20), says his first show has been “a great two months with some of the greatest people I know.” Olivia Youmans (`20) concurs. “My favorite part of the show is working with really amazing and talented people,” she said. “Some of my favorite scenes in the show are scenes that I’m not even in. I’m so glad I got the pleasure to work with people that inspire me so much.”

On the other hand there’s Nick Young (`17), who has long helped out behind the scenes of MLWGS productions but now moves into the spotlight as a cast member. “I auditioned for Caesar because I wanted to do a mainstage production after acting in the One Acts festival last year,” he said. “While balancing light design and programming with acting isn’t easy, it was definitely worth it and I [plan to] take a stab at it again for the musical.”

Of course, many stars of the drama department also lend their talents to the production. Genna Markee (`17), who plays Cassius, says she’s thrilled to be able to do a Shakespeare production in her senior year. “I couldn’t wait to audition for this show and I don’t regret a minute of it. Shakespeare, drama kids, and laughter give me life.”

Ultimately, however, what makes the show special is the unique combination of teamwork, humor, and passion at the center of every MLWGS production. “This show is so full of awesome people making brilliant choices, and every single thing is filled with so much effort, love, and humor,” said Sam Hopper (`18). Mary-Dryden Maio (`18), notes that team camaraderie has made this show very special. “This cast has meshed so well and I am so thankful for my cast mates,” she said.

Nicoleta Gavris (`18) sums it up well in saying that “Caesar is the epitome of MLWGS talent on all levels- acting, teamwork… light design, costuming, hair, makeup, and above all, absolutely incredible perseverance.”

MLWGS Drama presented “Julius Caesar,” directed by Foster Solomon, on November 17, 18, and 19th at 7:00. Tickets were $5 for students and $10 for adults and were sold at the door.

Nicoleta Gavris, Photography/Website Editor

Nicoleta Gavris is a junior at MLWGS and an avid photographer, graphic designer, actress, writer, and film editor. She loves foreign languages and is a...

Sophia McCrimmon, Editor-in-Chief

Sophia McCrimmon, a senior at Maggie Walker, serves as the Editor-in-Chief for the Jabberwock and has worked on the staff since her freshman year. In her...