Don’t Hit the Hay, It’s a Part-AY

3+am+volleyball+in+the+gym.+
3 am volleyball in the gym.

3 am volleyball in the gym.

Kate Driebe

Kate Driebe

3 am volleyball in the gym.

Nicoleta Gavris, Photography/Website Editor

In the spirit of the holidays and memorable activities, MLWGS held its annual winter dance and freshman lock-in last Friday and Saturday, December 9 and 10. Similarly, in the spirit of MLWGS, the lock-in itself was an ironic representation of exactly what all MLWGS students are deprived of— sleep — albeit last weekend, willingly so, and aided by candy and a Men’s Fashion Show.

For many freshmen, the winter dance and lock-in was their first opportunity to live through a true high school bonding experience with friends, old and new. “We played ping pong and hung out in the Mac lab. It was a really cool time, and I think I’d have regretted not going,” says Malina Gavris. Paige Handy agrees, and even though she says the dance and lock-in “weren’t as great as I was expecting”, they were still “really fun”. The ice between some of the freshmen may have been solid at the beginning of the dance, as according to Paige it was “like homecoming but with only a tiny group of awkward freshmen (laughter)”, but the “lock-in was super chill, it was like having a big sleepover!”

As the hours ticked by and moved into the early morning, the real fun began. Not even the teachers were spared from the early-morning antics. Mr. Piersol, who arrived late but was present for the long night of December 9, says that he “missed the dance, got in at 10:30, left at 7 am. It was wonderful, joyous occasion.” At 1:32 am, arguably the most iconic event of the night was announced on Facebook— the Men’s Fashion Show. “Come to the music area place in commons at 2:00 to start getting ready for the guys fashion show!” Ally Southworth posted on the Class of 2020 page— and come they did. There were more than half a dozen participants, including Aaron Vincent, Renny McFadin, Evan Wolff, Nathan Lord, Hayden Perez, Noah Ratliff, and Mr. Piersol, who says that what “was probably the most enlightening thing was learning that my hair was long enough to be put into a French braid.” Two of the models even went so far as to have their makeup done. “That was my favorite part!” says Paige Handy. The runway and competition started at 2:30. Mr. Piersol made the final four, which was “nice”. The entire experience was even nicer when all the participants were revealed to be winners.

The activities continued into the early hours of December 10, when yet another Facebook post announced group activities in the gym at 3:30. “They said there’d be coffee, but there wasn’t, so we played volleyball in the gym and twister in the commons,” says Malina Gavris. For the less sport-inclined, “they were playing Elf and the Princess Bride in the Black Box. There were also board games, I had a wild time!”

As the night passsed, the fun didn’t. However, by the time breakfast came around, the exhaustion began to kick in. “We had donuts. I needed the sugar,” says Malina Gavris, who stayed up all night. The night was so memorable that some chose to forgo sleep after the lock-in in order to extend the experience. According to Morgan Poff’s Facebook status at 5:25 pm on December 10, “If you’re up right now and you woke up at 5:30am yesterday then went to school and the lock in, just know you’re 5 min[utes] away from 36 full hours of being awake.”

No matter how little sleep the freshmen got or how much candy was eaten, the winter dance and lock-in was the event of the year. Says Richard Zhai, “I would like to thank everyone for coming to the lock-in and helping to make it really good. Hopefully everyone who went found it enjoyable! For myself, it’s made me very proud to see our class come together, bring mountains of food, play some weird games that are fun at 3 in the morning, and most of all have a great time.” Another year, another memorable way to kick off the holiday season!

The MLWGS annual Winter Dance and Freshmen Lock-in took place on December 9 and 10, 2016.