MLWGS Takes Out ARGS

Preston Hausser, Sports Editor

A sea of green and yellow with a splash of maroon. In the Dragon’s Den, Maggie Walker’s Gymnasium, the players prepared for their matchup against Appomattox Regional Governor’s School, the Dragons from Petersburg. As the roars of the ground reached higher decibels, people on the first floor felt the reverberations from the gym above them. The referee tossed the ball in the air and the clock started.

The Annual Governor’s Game commenced with a splash, as Michael Patina tipped the ball to John Blue, who quickly reached the basket, scoring the first points of the game within seconds. Maggie Walker never looked back, taking advantage of every ARGS missed shot, turnover and mistake, going into halftime with a 44-13 lead. Blue led the charge with fourteen points, 10 of which came in the first quarter. The senior also hit two three-pointers to lead the team in makes from behind the perimeter.

Blue had a strong supporting cast on the 5th, led by Daniel Opstelten (`18) and Austin Wade (`19). Opstelten had eight points and Wade added another seven, including a smooth and-1 in the first quarter that displayed his agility on the court. Avery Bowers, a freshman, played his first varsity game against ARGS, logging a significant amount of minutes for the Green Dragons. Jack McGrath and Sam Fortune, both seniors, combined for nine more points for Walker, leading the big men for the night. Although Jackson Downs (`18) missed his chance to score his first varsity points at the line, the Green Dragons still shot 66%, an improvement on the first two games.

Damien Fields and Bus Baker each scored 10 points for ARGS, who put up a strong comeback in the second half, but in vain, as the home team pulled away with their first win of the season.
Look for the Green Dragons again after Winter Break when they play Hermitage on January 3rd.