Winter Season Wrapups

Emma+Ragone+attempts+to+strip+the+ball+from+a+Bruton+player+in+last+week%27s+Conferenec+33+Championship+game.+
Emma Ragone attempts to strip the ball from a Bruton player in last week's Conferenec 33 Championship game.

Rob Ostermaier

Rob Ostermaier

Preston Hausser, Sports Editor

Boy’s Basketball

Finished 4th in Conference, went 2-17, lost to King William 69-31, then to Amelia 62-49

After a surprising exit from Coach Parker Kirwan late last summer for Blue Ridge Academy, the Maggie Walker Basketball program was left searching for a new coach with little time to spare, eventually settling on former JV coach Keith Beagle. Beagle was handed a tall task. Teaching an entire new offense and defense to 10 seniors who had played in Kirwan’s game plan for three years already. Relying on the pure talent of John Blue (’17) and Jack McGrath (’17), Beagle slowly introduced his “shuffle” offense, a new take on putting the ball in the basket against the tenacious defenses of the West End and the City of Richmond. And the Green Dragons began to score more, crossing 50 points on four separate occasions, up from zero the year before. Matching the previous year’s win total, the Green Dragons lost close matches with Nandua and Goochland, twice.

Fighting for fourth place most of the year, the boys faced King William in the semifinals of the Conference 33 Tournament, a rematch of the season opener. The Cavaliers, with their superior height and scoring abilities, topped MLWGS 69-31. In regionals, Walker faced Amelia County, a Conference 34 powerhouse with only one loss on the year. Thanks to a 26 point performance from Blue, the Green Dragons were able to hold back Amelia’s potent offense for more than three and half quarters, until the home team’s three point shooting heated up, effectively ending Walker’s season.

Beagle will look to Daniel Opstelten (’18), Austin Wade (’19) and Avery Bowers (’20) to lead the Dragons into the 2017-18 season, one full of opportunity and uncertainty

Besides Blue and McGrath, the Jabberwock would also like to thank seniors Henry Haas, Ben McGuigan, Matthew Pinson, Sam Fortune, Michael Patina, Oliver Creasey for their time given to the basketball program at MLWGS.

Girl’s Basketball

Finished 4th in Conference, went 5-16, beat Nandua 43-35, lost to Bruton 42-24, lost to Greensville 53-26

The Lady Dragons had a pretty successful season, finishing 5-16 and winning a conference semifinal game against Nandua 43-35. The girls took the road trip to the Eastern Shore and came out with the win in a hostile atmosphere in Onley. Playing for the conference championship two days later, the Bruton Panthers were too much for Walker, who entered the 2A East Regional as a two-seed. Hosting Greensville County last Friday, the Lady Dragons realized early on they were outmatched and finished their season with a 53-26 loss at the hands of the Eagles.

The girls only lose one major part of their offense for next season, senior Katie Rogers. Mariko Lewis provided vital points through her first three years with the program, but was hampered by injury early on in 2016. Fortunately, Coach Speedy Baughman can rely on sophomores Lisa Qin and Emma Ragone to lead the offense, along with freshman Geshanti Adams.

Concerning next season, Ragone “looks forward to it”. She thinks that “improving on our win total from this year” is a major priority, along with “helping younger players develop into better basketball players”. Good luck to them!