BCC Takes NYC

Students+in+the+Books+Cooks+and+Culture+seminar+pose+in+Central+Park+during+their+visit+to+New+York+City.+
Students in the Books Cooks and Culture seminar pose in Central Park during their visit to New York City.

Sophia McCrimmon, Editor-in-Chief

Over the weekend of March 18th, students in Ms. Boswell’s “Books, Cooks, and Culture” seminar travelled to New York City to get a glimpse of a metropolis which offers all three of those things in spades. “Books, Cooks, and Culture” is a senior seminar which focuses on exploring the cultural context behind several critically acclaimed novels. The trip to New York City allowed students to explore a global nexus of culture, literature, and cuisine.

For many students, this trip was their first to New York City, an experience which proved somewhat jarring. “The amount of people and activity was pretty crazy,” said Michael Patina (`17). For others who had visited the city before, this trip was still notably different. “With my family, we normally have little structure to our vacations,” said Amanda Mier (`17), “This time, though, we were pretty much constantly on the go, either walking or eating.”

First up on the agenda were the “books.” The group visited the New York Public Library and explored its famous reading rooms, but an even more interesting stop was at the Morgan Library & Museum. “Seeing all of the artworks and books JP Morgan collected was fascinating,” said Mier. Students also enjoyed uncovering the secret behind his multi-tiered library: a hidden staircase. “It felt like I was in ‘Beauty and the Beast,” said Lucina Hawkins (`17), “I’m also pretty sure Genna [Markee] was going to find some way to live in there and just become one of the books.”

New York is also known for its cooks, and BCC students did not hesitate in partaking of all the city had to offer. Though the assigned novels caused the trip to gravitate towards Caribbean and Iranian food, meals ranged from pizza to pastrami sandwiches. The group’s first stop was at John’s of Times Square, a famous restaurant located within a remodeled church. According to Addie Locke (`17), the thin-crust pies “tasted the same as the pizza I had in Italy.”

Other memorable spots included Havana Social on 10th Avenue. “We ordered dishes family style, and I got to eat rice, beans, and fried plantains, which is basically what I would eat for every meal if I could,” said Mier.

The group also visited Persepolis, a Persian restaurant on the Upper East Side.  “The most memorable thing about the trip was when Sophia [McCrimmon] ordered ‘mediterranean guacamole’ and when the waiter came out he brought a chalice of full avocados and chickpeas that Sophia had to smash by hand at the dinner table,” recalled Mier. Another highlight? “I got to watch Jackie eat five courses,” Mier said.

On their final day, the gang visited the famous Katz’s Delicatessen. “It was so chaotic,” recalled Locke, “Looking at the photos of famous people who have visited the deli was really fun.”