Class of 2021’s “Fresh” Start

Back to Article
Back to Article

Class of 2021’s “Fresh” Start

Hannah Ray ('21) and Keriann Slayton ('21).

Hui Lian

Hui Lian

Hui Lian

Kate Farmer and Samra Kanwal

Going from middle school to high school is always a big jump. Every year, the incoming freshman endure an American Horror Story-esque episode of headache-inducing homework, endless streams of tests, projects, Socratic seminars, and most hauntingly, FIRC. Freshman year is tough, to say at the least. Especially when you’re attending the notoriously rigorous MLWGSGISNHHSRV (feeling dizzy yet?)

This year, to better accommodate for incoming freshmen, our faculty and staff have tirelessly worked together to redesign both orientation and the boosters program. To better prepare students for the rigor of their upcoming classes, the administration established new additions to the orientation program, covering a wide range of potential subjects. Teachers spent much of their time introducing and reviewing mathematical concepts and writing, as well as teaching successful note-taking, organizational, and time management skills. In addition, the faculty and staff introduced the students to Maggie Walker’s diverse array of clubs and extracurriculars. With these exciting new changes, the faculty hopes that students have received not only a better idea of the academic challenges they will face, but are also properly prepared to transition smoothly, seamlessly, and confidently out of their respective middle schools.

Throughout their very first week of school, the MLWGS Jabberwock reached out to a few freshmen to hear their impressions of the school so far.

Photo: Hui Lian.

“From shadow day to orientation to everyday now, I love the sense of trust between teachers and students. The amount of trust allows students to have more privileges that you wouldn’t find at an ordinary high school. What I don’t like about MLWGS is the Friday schedule, mostly because of the amount of stuff you have to bring…I can already imagine how heavy my backpack will be.

Overall, I am looking forward to, maybe not all the homework, but definitely the next four years here at MLWGS”.

-Emmy Li (‘21)

Photo: Hui Lian.

“It’s good. It’s not that different from middle school. The class sizes are nice, and I love the student body. Very, very different from public middle schools…

Well, we don’t have that much homework yet, but there is definitely some work.”

-Hannah Ray (‘21) and Keriann Slayton (‘21)

Photo: Hui Lian.

“I like Maggie Walker. But the thing I miss most is sleep.”

-Grace Kemmerly (‘21)