Preview of Fall Sports

Back to Article
Back to Article

Preview of Fall Sports

Mary Caroline Heinen (`20) runs in the Newport News Invitational.

MileStat

MileStat

MileStat

Cole Cummins, Assistant Sports Editor

Maggie Walker has been an outstanding school from an athletics perspective for the past few years, but how are our fall sports teams looking right now? Today we take a closer look at the 2017 fall sports season, and hear from the various team captains what they have seen so far, and what they expect to see over the course of the season.

Volleyball

Men’s volleyball has started off the season with an impressive record of 2-3, after playing much larger schools such as Freeman and Glen Allen. Captain Hunter Taylor (‘18) shared his thoughts on the team this year, saying, “I think that this year the team has more chemistry, which will help us be competitive when playing teams that have historically dominated us.” The Women’s volleyball team has faced a number of much larger schools to start the season off, currently holding a 1-6 record with their only win being against  JR Tucker High School. The team is captained by Thomas Green (‘18) and Emma Roby (‘18), and the team is expecting more success as the season progresses, as they will be facing teams closer to MLWGS in size and skill.

Cross Country

The cross country team has set the bar quite high for itself, with both the girls and boys teams clinching numerous state titles in the past years. This year captain Joe Paul (‘18) shares that, “We lost a lot of solid runners last year, but have had numerous guys step it up this year,” which lead him to follow with, “We’re a better team than last year and we expect to race like it.” Although cross-country doesn’t have an official record yet, both teams did well in a large invitational meet, with around 40 teams invited. The boys’ team placed 2nd and the girls placed 3rd. According to captain Morgan Ackley (‘18), the girls team is also faster than last year, and she states that her goal for the season is, “to continue the 3-year streak and win states.” She also communicated that there are strong underclassmen who will add to the team’s success, saying “we’ve got some really promising freshmen.”

Women’s Field Hockey

The MW field hockey team has quite a fearsome lineup this year, including a lot of strong seniors. Captain Lauren McCarey (‘18), recruited to play college field hockey for Dartmouth, said that “We have a lot of individual talent and we are really starting to come together as a team.” This is evident in their 6-0 record for the season so far. McCarey also stated that she could see the team having lots of postseason success and “maybe even going to states.”

Golf

The MW Golf team is experiencing a strong 2017 season, captained by Ben Hamilton (‘18) and Rachel Zhao (‘18). The season is drawing to a close and the team is expecting a successful postseason run this year.