Fall Fest Around the Corner

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fall Fest Around the Corner

Clubs set up booths at Fall Fest.

Clubs set up booths at Fall Fest.

Photo courtesy of MLWGS

Clubs set up booths at Fall Fest.

Photo courtesy of MLWGS

Photo courtesy of MLWGS

Clubs set up booths at Fall Fest.

Samra Kanwal, Assistant News Editor

Let’s admit it: coming back to school is a struggle. After three long and lazy months of vacation, adjusting to the rigor of a fast paced school like Maggie Walker is quite a challenge. Instead of enjoying the company of T.V. or friends, most of us are forced to spend nights bonding with our APUSH textbook or crying over unfinished calculus. In lieu of relaxing resorts or picturesque beaches, our days are filled with an endless stream of tests, quizzes, and projects. However, as overwhelming September may seem, every back to school season has its silver lining.

Coming back to school is also the best time to reinvigorate old friendships, form new connections, and participate in exciting clubs and activities. And of course, Fall Fest is always around the corner! Easily one of the most anticipated events of the Maggie Walker Calendar, Fall Fest is a time when we can ignore our academic woes, let down our hair, and have some fun. From food to games to entertainment, we get to see and enjoy the diversity and talent of the Maggie Walker community to its fullest extent.

This year’s performers certainly embody these characteristics. A diverse array of Maggie Walker students will be gracing the stage at Fall Fest this October. Kamya Sanjay (`19), who performed at Fall Fest last year, will be performing with the Bhangra team and as a part of her musical duo Cosmic this year. “Bhangra, as always, is planning to bring the heat and we have a super fun routine planned,” she says. “The captains have worked so hard and the team is ready to show Maggie Walker what we are made of.” Regarding her song set with fellow junior and friend Reona Pereira (`19), Sanjay is looking forward to having a relaxed and fun time on stage.

Raghda Labban (‘19) made her debut at Fall Fest last year. She performed solo, with two pieces on her guitar. This year, Labban will be joined on stage by her sister on the acoustic guitar, while she plays on the piano. “I am feeling pretty excited but still a little bit nervous,” describes Labban,  “It definitely helps that I’m performing for a second time because I know what to expect.”

Familiar faces at Fall Fest this year will be the Appalachian Music Heritage Club (AHMC). The ensemble, arranged by Rachel Dunaway, will feature two songs: Crawford Song and Fall on My Knees. Anisha Sharma (‘17) thinks that the AHMC gives students a great opportunity to express themselves and play some unique mountain tunes. Says Sharma, “It brings together people who love music and allows them to express themselves in an ensemble”.

Fall Fest is also an anticipated event for former Maggie Walker alumni, families of both teachers and students, and many community members. Consequently, it is a fantastic platform for student performers to showcase their talents and maybe even score a professional gig!