Maggie Walker’s Spook-tacular Halloween

Back to Article
Back to Article

Maggie Walker’s Spook-tacular Halloween

Clara Studdard (11th), Elizabeth McCombs (12th), and Wyatt Mingus (12th)

Hui Lian

Hui Lian

Hui Lian

Kate Farmer, Anna Jepson, and Malina Gavris

The fall season is in full swing and and it seems as though everyone at Maggie Walker is participating in Halloween festivities. From costume contests to spooky fundraisers, it’s easy to see that our student body loves October. However, Halloween isn’t only about exciting costumes and good candy. A few of the clubs here at MLWGS are using the holiday as an opportunity to make a difference in the community.

Yumna Rahman (‘19) spoke about the UNICEF club’s fundraiser this season. You’ve probably seen students from the club walking around the halls with coin boxes, but for what cause? Yumna explained that this is part of UNICEF’s annual Trick-or-Treat for change fundraiser, an event that aims to raise money for children impacted by disaster around the world. Students are encouraged to pick up a coin box, or even make one themselves, and collect as many donations as they can from their schools and communities. “It’s really fun,” said Yumna. “You can do it with your friends, and you can basically just go out and trick-or-treat…it’s an excuse to trick-or-treat even at this age! But it’s also great because you’re not doing it for the candy, you’re doing it for the kids.” At the end of the year the club sends all of their donations to the official UNICEF organization, where the money is given to a worthy cause. Last year they were able to raise over $400, and with all of the new members this season they’re hoping to raise even more!

Another club hoping to make a difference this fall is Operation Smile. Kamya Sanjay (`19) started this club to raise awareness and funds for the local Virginia nonprofit, Operation Smile, which provides free cleft lip and palate surgeries for children in need. This Tuesday, the club hosted an exciting costume contest to raise money for this noble cause. Talented students from all grade levels participated in the contest, and they certainly didn’t disappoint. Starting off the show, Emma Lindley (`21) impressed the crowd with an elaborate piñata costume. “I have my pinata stick here, which you are NOT allowed to use against me.” she joked, earning a laugh from the audience. Also from the single-costume category was Eileen Morley (`20), with an impressive portrayal of the Stranger Things character, Eleven.

Hui Lian
Hannah Ruisi (9th), Emma Lindsay (9th), Eileen Morley (10th), and Lydia Galvin (11th)

A pirate and her parrot, Mario and Luigi, and Cruella “Devilled Egg” with her dalmatian were a few of the creative costumes to join the stage for the two-person costume category. Meredith Peters (`20), who dressed as Luigi, said that she wanted to participate in the contest “because it was raising money for a great cause in a really fun way.” Hanna Kruse (`19) and Emily Mortimer (`19) received a loud applause from the audience when Hanna the pirate lifted her parrot onto her shoulders and flew her around the stage.

Hui Lian
Hannah Kruse (11th) and Emily Mortimer(11th)

In the third and final category, and impressive display of group costumes made an appearance on the stage. Possibly one of the most creative costumes, Mary-Caroline Heinen (`20), Alyssa Wright (`20), and Lola Sneddon (`20) started the category off with their interpretation of  “Bed, Bath, and Beyond.”  

Hui Lian
MC Heinen (10th), Lola Sneddon (10th), and Alyssa Wright (10th)

Also in this group were Virginia Adams (`19), Libby McCoy (`19), Kate Gruber (`19), and Angela Stefanovska (`19), who impressed the audience with their realistic portrayal of the Plastics from Mean Girls. “The limit does not exist for how awesome our costumes are,” remarked Kate. “I have ESPN or something, so I know we’re going to win,” added Libby as the crowd laughed.

Photo: Hui Lian

All of the costumes showed originality and unparalleled effort, and we think all the audience members can agree that choosing a winner was no easy choice. The task of deciding which costumes reigned supreme was given to Mrs. Cross, Mr. Smith, and Dr. Lowerre. Mrs. Cross summed up the judging experience, stating, “I think it was hilarious! I loved it! Dr. Lowerre, Mr. Smith, and I all had such a blast watching you all and all the creativity. It was a lot of fun and a lot of high energy!… It was great, especially considering why you all were doing it.” According to the judges, some categories had a clear shining star while others had to be discussed. But in the end, one person or group from each category had to be chosen. The winner of the solo costume was Emma Lindley, who slayed the day in her colorful pinata dress. For the duo costumes, the winners were Meredith Peters (`20) and Grace May (`20), who came in as Mario and Luigi, bringing us nostalgic memories from our childhood. Finally the three person costume winners were the fabulously dressed trio of Elizabeth McCombs (`18), Clara Studdard (`18), and Wyatt Mingus (`18). Their spot on representation of Alice in Wonderland, the Queen of Hearts, and the Mad Hatter earned them a perfect score.

Hui Lian

The contest was a blast but what made it even more special was the impact it will make around the world. As Sanjay beautifully stated, “One of the greatest things about the Maggie Walker environment is the confidence it instills in individuals. A smile does the same thing, so essentially Operation Smile performs medical miracles and equips children with the confidence that we value so much in this community. ”

Halloween is a fun time for all, and everyone at Maggie Walker should be proud that our student body is a group of dedicated and selfless people that strives to make a difference in our community. And it’s always a plus when we get to make a difference by dressing up in our favorite costumes and enjoy this spook-tacular season!

Kate Farmer, News Editor

Kate Farmer, a sophomore, is excited to serve as News Editor on the Jabberwock team. She is an avid writer with a passion for journalism, and looks forward...

Hui Lian, Photography Editor

Hui Lian is a junior at Maggie Walker and is excited to be serving as the Jabberwock's Photography Editor. In the future she hopes to be a fashion stylist...