A Letter to the Governerds

Anthony Holten

Anthony Holten

Bikal Sharma, Staff Writer

To the Editor and to the Student Body of MLWGS,

I’d bet that every single person reading this right now is looking at the clock, excitedly counting down the seconds until that sweet final bell rings out to announce the start of winter break. In fact, I can’t think of a single person dreading that 3:15 bell. Oh wait, except for me. Yup, you read that right. Every single cell in my body shudders with apprehension as I anticipate that familiar chiming.

Why, you may ask. Why would anyone, especially a Maggie Walker student, dread the end of a school day before winter break? Well, for starters, the final bell at 3:15 PM on December 15, 2017 will be the last MLWGS bell I will ever hear. It represents the end of a journey I expected to last for 2.5 more years, with thousands of extra memories. When I hear that bell, I almost expect everything I’ve made and contributed here to vanish in a puff of smoke. You see, I never expected to leave MLW midway through sophomore year. Hell, I dreamed of graduating in an off-green gown with a few cords around my neck and some of my best friends by my side. I made plans for all my classes in the coming years and everything I wanted to do in the realm of extracurriculars. However, none of it will come to fruition because I am moving away over winter break. By the time school reconvenes in 2018, my family will be up and gone to Texas, of all places. Of course, moving in the middle of high school carries all sorts of other negative academic and social implications that I could write a whole other article about.

But I digress. Today is my last day at a school that has influenced me so much by giving me the opportunity and resources to learn and grow exponentially. If I had a genie or a fairy godmother, the first thing I would wish for is the chance to stay here and finish high school. Alas, I don’t have any Disney-esque magic wishes. So, I want to take this opportunity to say thank you. Thank you to every welcoming teacher, administrator, and upperclassman that had to deal with me as an awkward, constantly distracted, and easily sidetracked freshman who stressed too much about his classes while doing too many extracurriculars. Thank you for the dinners at robotics, raucous nights doing MUN, and lengthy Saturdays playing quizbowl. Thank you to all the friends that I’ve made here for looking past my unnecessarily loud and political exterior to find the slightly more moderate personality within. Finally, thank you for every festival, dance, and party to remind me to have fun every once in awhile.

To the readers of the Jabberwock- remember to tell your friends that you love them, and don’t be afraid to bomb a grade once in awhile. As I count down the seconds until the concluding bell before winter break, I will be nostalgic for every memory I have made at this fantastic school. I want everyone to stop once in a while and reflect on all of the great memories they have made at school as well. I am going to miss Maggie Walker. I am going to miss Sugar Shack. But most of all, I’m going to miss each and every one of you, readers. Because it is each and every one of us, Maggie Walker’s own students, that makes the school such a special place. Never change, Governerds.

With love, gratitude, and the warmest of regards,

Bikal Sharma

(Former) Student at Maggie L. Walker Governor’s School for Government and International Studies, National Historic High School Richmond, Virginia.