Winter Sports Update

Photo: Quinn Keatley

Photo: Quinn Keatley

Photo: Quinn Keatley

Adam Sachs, Staff Writer

Wrestling

The wrestling team is having a successful season this year. The team is led by captains Ned Cooper (‘18) and Joe Paul (‘18), and many underclassmen are also contributing to the team’s success. In the Regional Championships last week, the MW Wrestling Team had five wrestlers qualify to the state championships—the most state-qualifiers in school history. With the state meet coming up in two weeks, senior Joe Paul is hoping to follow-up his stellar final season on the team with a state championship in the 128-lb weight class. Many other team members hope to place at the state meet as well.

Girls Basketball

The girls’ basketball team has also managed a strong season, currently with a record of 13-4. According to Emma Ragone (‘19), “the team works very well together.” Led by starters Emma Ragone, Kira Flores, Ge’shanti Atkins, Annabel Tripodi, and Sarah Larkin. Unfortunately, height is not the team’s forte, so a majority of team points come from 3-point shots from guards. Ragone also notes “A lot of the players are giving their input on what works and what doesn’t so the coaches change [drills, plays, etc.] accordingly.” The team looks forward to the post-season and hopes to have a strong performance in the state championship tournament.

Boys Basketball

The team has had a successful season. The group is led by Daniel Opstelten (‘18) and Jack Herrmann (‘18) and Tom Blue (‘19). They recently held their senior night and they’re looking forward to a strong performance in the postseason in a couple weeks.

Boys and Girls Swimming

The swim team has had a stellar regular season, with multiple speedy performances and personal-best times for swimmers throughout the group. The team recently competed at the Regional Championships, where the girls team won the competition and the boys team placed second. The boys 200m freestyle relay and the girls 400m freestyle relay both achieved meet records. Regional champions included Noah Ratliff (‘20) with his 100m butterfly and Ethan Choo (100m backstroke).

Girls Indoor Track

The indoor track season has been outstanding, with many athletes achieving personal-best performances across all events. The team is led distance runner Mary Caroline Heinen (‘20), who ran a school-record 10:55 in the 3200m, Megan Lee (‘18), who ran 11:48 in the 3200m, and Andrea Macedo (‘18), who ran 3:13 in the 1000m. The girls sprint team is doing well, but captain Taylor Hill (‘18) has struggled with injury during her senior season—she’s hoping to come back healthier than ever for the Outdoor Track season. The team is looking forward to the Regional Championships at the Arthur Ashe Jr. Athletic Center in Richmond in a week. The team also hopes to continue their streak of state championships at the state meet at Roanoke College in two weeks.

Boys Indoor Track

The boys indoor track season is going strong, with strong performers across all distances and in the field events. Early on, Jack Jeffrey (‘19) and Adam Sachs (‘19) qualified to states and posted team-leading times in the 1600m and 3200m, with 4:36.4 and 9:48.0 respectively. In the field events, the boys team is led by a strong group of pole-vaulters, with multiple vaulters clearing 7’9”, the state-qualifying height. Josh Pei (‘19) leads the group with a season-best vault of 11-6. Andrew VanDePutte (‘21) has tied Sachs’s freshman class indoor record, with a vault of 8’6” and hopes to vault even higher at the state meet in two weeks. The team is poised to become regional champions at the regional meet in a week. They are looking forward to the state meet in two weeks, and they’re hoping to improve on last year’s third-place finish.