An Epic Finish for MLWGS Wrestling

Back to Article
Back to Article

An Epic Finish for MLWGS Wrestling

Photo: Oregon State Wrestling on Twitter

Cole Cummins, Staff Writer

Wrestling is an intense physical sport. The endurance required to last through three two-minute periods of wrestling is incredibly high. However, this strength becomes the center of a difficult balance: maintaining stress and practicing restrictive dieting. Maggie Walker’s wrestling team finished this season with a few firsts. This year the team had the most state qualifiers in school history: Nate Bampton (‘21), David Winters (‘19), Cole Cummins (‘19), Ned Cooper (‘18), and Joe Paul (‘18). Joe was the first Maggie Walker wrestler to ever win a state title two years ago in the 106 lb weight category. After putting on 40lbs in the two years since his first states win, he came to do it again.

Joe is not just Maggie Walker’s first state champ- he is also Maggie Walker’s first two time state champ. Joe plans to wrestle in college, and has been scouted by prestigious schools like Washington & Lee, and Johns-Hopkins. When asked about his season and his thoughts on the team, Joe said, “I accomplished my goals as both an individual and a leader of the team this season. Being a multiple time state champion is something I’d always dreamed about growing up, and for it to actually become a reality is just very special for me. As a team, we proved that we are not to be overlooked. Having 4 state placers is a big deal, and with the majority of the team returning next year, the future for Maggie Walker wrestling is very bright.”

Joe’s co-captain, Ned Cooper, placed 5th, his second time at states. Ned was expected to wrestle at states last year too, but an unexpected broken nose due to a business deal gone south prevented him from doing so. Luckily, this year he was able to wrestle in placed well. David Winters (‘19) and Cole Cummins (‘19) both qualified for states last year, and came back this year to do so again. They won 6th and 5th place respectively. Along with Ashton Longo (‘19) these two juniors will captain next year’s team. Last but not least, Nate Bampton (‘21), is the second Maggie Walker freshman in school history to qualify for states. Watching Nate battle out tough matches to make it to states makes the team excited to see how he’ll do next year.