MLWGS Soccer Kicks Off

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Cole Cummins, Assistant Sports Editor

Maggie Walker is a strong school for all sports, but one of the most competitive team at school is the soccer program, which is composed of many experienced travel team players. Although this is not uncommon at large public high schools like Freeman, or Deep Run, it is quite rare for a small school like MLWGS to have a strong team with so many talented players. Both the men’s and women’s soccer teams had successful seasons last year, and their hopes are high for this season as well.

Men’s Soccer:

Clinching a state title for the first time in Maggie Walker history, the men’s soccer team ended last season with a bang. Though they lost a few senior starters, the team is strong, and much of the young talent that joined varsity as freshman, when Coach Jeff Jamaleldine took over the program, is part of the upper class now. This year’s team is captained by Sy Coffey (‘19), Brooks Eason (‘18), and Alex Daglish (‘18). The team has high hopes for a repeat state title, and is putting in the work to accomplish their goals. According to Diogo Albuquerque (‘19), “The team this year is beginning to find itself. We began slow, but now we’re playing the way we should. Although our goal is another state title, we are taking it one game at a time.

Women’s Soccer:

WIth a crushing defeat in double overtime in  the regional final, against longtime rival George Mason, the team had a heartbreaking end to their strong season.  This year, the women’s soccer team is coming back with a vengeance. With 10 returning starters, the team has a lot of experienced players to work with. Captained by Gabi Cao (‘18), Maddie Dunn (‘19), and Grace Brickley (‘18), the team is expecting a killer season. Maddie Dunn says, “The team is as strong as it’s ever been; each and every player has committed to going all the way this year. If we keep up the intensity we’ve got a good shot at states.” With an optimistic start, the women’s team is hoping to qualify for states and accomplish their goal of scoring goals against George Mason.