Asian Assembly Amazes (As Always)

Back to Article
Back to Article

Asian Assembly Amazes (As Always)

Photo courtesy Hui Lian (`19)

Photo courtesy Hui Lian (`19)

Hui Lian

Photo courtesy Hui Lian (`19)

Hui Lian

Hui Lian

Photo courtesy Hui Lian (`19)

Malina Gavris, Staff Writer

Here at MLWGS, we take pride in our diverse and gifted student body. Luckily, we are able to celebrate our unique cultures with clubs and events that are unique to Maggie Walker. As a final hurrah before spring break, Asian Assembly was held this Thursday, March 29th.

Asian Assembly is a school tradition that highlights various Asian cultures and enlightens fellow students with dance, music, and more. Natalie Little (‘19) who will be participating with the Bhangra team explained that, “Asian Assembly sorta of epitomizes what I love most about our school and why Bhangra is so uniquely great—and that’s how diverse and accepting our student body is. Nowhere else would 65 kids from all different grade levels and all different cultural backgrounds volunteer to perform and celebrate traditional Asian dances like we do, but we always have such a supportive, loving audience and it makes it all so worth it.”

Aside from Bhangra, many other clubs, teams, and individuals performed on Thursday. ASL 3 signed to “Kal Ho Na Ho/See You Again” which is a combination of Hindi and English, and Kate Gruber (‘19) was excited that the audience could see such “an awesome blend of cultures”. Ivan Marshall (‘19) executed a martial arts demo and Minhie Willow Kwak (‘18) alongside the Kpop group danced to “Red Flavor” by Red Velvet and “Go Go” by BTS. Ananya Suram (‘18) will be dancing with Bollywood this year and was “ ..incredibly excited about performing this Thursday! Freshman me would have been terrified to do something like this, but two years of experience really make the anxiety go away. I fully expect this year’s assembly to be a great one!”

All of the participants were really excited to show off their practiced routines and predicted that this year’s assembly would be incredible. They were correct! The show started with a hilarious video depicting the emcees, with a special appearance from T-Pain. The various numbers included Kpop, Bollywood, Bhangra, Tinikling, Chinese fan dancing, song signing by ASL 3, and a solo by Kamya Sanjay (‘19). In between the fantastic acts, the emcees kept the audience laughing with witty puns and funny jokes. Audience member Anna Jepson (‘20) stated “The show was incredible. It was really cool and I was so stressed when I watched the Tinikling group perform. It takes a great deal of practice to not get your feet caught between the bamboo, and they did an amazing job!” Besides being entertained, the audience got a great image of Asian culture. The music and dances were vibrant and emotive. The costumes were colorful and fun. Before the performances, emcee Rachael Zhao (‘18) hoped that “.. the audience will just enjoy themselves during the show and hopefully it’ll spark an interest for some people to get involved in Asian Assembly in the future.”

After witnessing such a spectacular show filled with liveliness and grace, it’s safe to say that many of our fellow peers have garnered a great interest in Asian culture. Asian Assembly is unique to our school and is a stunning portrayal of our student diversity. As Minhie Willow Kwak(‘18) stated “It highlights Asian culture by illuminating the similarities and differences between America and the various Asian countries and helping people become exposed to Asian culture in an audience-friendly way. I hope the audience can just learn that all of these rich and unique cultural experiences are present in the world and our community.”

Hui Lian, Photography Editor

Hui Lian is a junior at Maggie Walker and is excited to be serving as the Jabberwock's Photography Editor. In the future she hopes to be a fashion stylist...