Golf Goes To States- For The First Time!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo: Turnberry Isle, Miami

Photo: Turnberry Isle, Miami

Photo: Turnberry Isle, Miami

Photo: Turnberry Isle, Miami

Asher Llewellyn, Sports Editor

For the first time in Maggie Walker history, the school’s golf team has qualified for states—and perhaps in the clutchest way possible.

Last Monday at Kinderton Country Club in Clarksville, VA, Maggie Walker faced off in what would become a historic 2A Regional Golf Championship. There, Avery Bowers (‘20) shot an impressive 77 and helped to carry the team to its 2nd place finish, tied with Randolph Henry with a team score of 331. Also instrumental in the team’s achievement was the irreplaceable support of veteran Robert McCaffrey (‘19) as well as the “performance of a lifetime” from junior Casey Pridgen (‘20), according to Virginia Adams (‘19).

However, more golf was still to be played. In order to settle the tie between Maggie Walker and Randolph Henry, the two teams entered into a two-hole playoff where each team’s best four players fought for the second place spot that would qualify them for states. Bowers (‘20) and Lisa Qin (‘19) tied the opponents’ top two in the first hole, but Pridgen and freshman Cameron Paoloni (‘22) eventually won out by a single stroke to complete the team’s upset win against Randolph Henry. “I was super nervous on the tee because I didn’t want to let my team down, but as the playoff went on I really started enjoying the experience. The whole atmosphere and the pressure and everything involved, I loved it,” commented Bowers.

So, what’s changed for golf this year that has allowed the team to succeed? “Honestly, not much,” responded Qin. “We’ve just been playing well, and our team dynamic is really strong.” The golf team got second last year in regionals too, but the regulations for state qualification were different. Then, only the number one team advances, but with the changes made this year to allow the top two teams, Maggie Walker made it through as well.

In addition to the team victory, Qin also qualified for girls’ states and Bowers qualified individually. In reference to the victory, Bowers explained, “really it comes down to Coach Brown always having our backs and putting us in the best position to succeed.”

The State Championship takes place on October 8th, so be sure to keep the golf team in mind as they compete for glory at Lonesome Pine Golf Club in southwest Virginia.