Senior Nights Are The Best “Worst Thing” About Maggie Walker

Photo%3A+huntingPA.com
Photo: huntingPA.com

Photo: huntingPA.com

Photo: huntingPA.com

Asher Llewellyn, Sports Editor

Wait! Before you get mad at the title, let me explain. I love Senior Nights. Since I’m a senior, I’m obviously pretty biased, but really nothing even comes close to taking down a rival in front of your fellow classmates, to hearing the cheers of your friends as you score the winning goal, to having a night dedicated especially and only to you. So what could possibly be wrong with that?

Not nearly enough people go to them. Green Machine has tried to offer themed events, free admission, raffles, even pizza, but attendance still remains remarkably low. No one seems to want to come. So, suddenly there’s a whole lot less people to see your victory over a rival, to cheer for your game winning goal, and to proudly display a poster with your name on it. For someone who’s played on the team for four years, what is supposed to be a very meaningful culmination of one of their greatest passions and commitments loses much of its value.

Even worse, Senior Night is just one example, one game which typically draws many more fans than usual. During the rest of the games in the season, people hardly ever attend. I’m not trying to blame anyone, and I’ve certainly been victim of under-supporting our sports teams, but given that the Maggie Walker community excels at and is passionate for so many other things, I see no reason that we can’t be equally spirited about and supportive of our sports teams.

Without that communal rallying cry for our teams, I think you lose an important part of the high school experience. Granted, Maggie Walker is a high school for government and international studies and not football and varsity athletics, but we are still high schoolers with some extremely talented sports teams winning state championships every year, so we definitely still have good reason to be passionate about our teams. If you’ve ever seen High School Musical, you might get a better idea of what I mean by the “high school experience.” Everyone rallies behind their basketball team, coming together for a common purpose with enthusiasm and spirit for athletics that just isn’t seen at a school like Maggie Walker. The movie does a great job of showing how incredibly fun and unifying that can be. A lot of times it may feel as though your class lacks cohesion, but sports could very well solution to that.

Maybe that High School Musical version of high school doesn’t exist nearly as much nowadays, but it’s definitely gone to an even greater extent at Maggie Walker. I love so many things about our school community, but you just don’t see students regularly going to volleyball games. There’s certainly a culture of perfectionism at Maggie Walker, but I’d strongly urge you to step away from it and really enjoy your time in high school, not only with respect to sports but in general. I promise you won’t regret it.

Supporting athletic teams hasn’t always been our strong suit, but it doesn’t have to stay that way. It’s definitely under-emphasized now, but our support for our teams has the potential to one of the best, most rewarding things about Maggie Walker. In the end, we’re all in this together.