It’s Delagatin’ Season!

Back to Article
Back to Article

It’s Delagatin’ Season!

Photo: MLWGS Model UN

Photo: MLWGS Model UN

Photo: MLWGS Model UN

Photo: MLWGS Model UN

Kate Farmer and Alex Broening

This past week has been nothing short of turbulent for the Maggie Walker Model Congress and Model United Nations clubs. Throughout the weekend of November 17th, over sixty politics-savvy MLWGS students of all grade levels participated as delegates at the Princeton Model Congress and the University of Virginia Model United Nations conferences. Not only did the two groups get to polish their political debate skills at the national level, they also were given the chance to create lifelong memories with their fellow Dragons.

Princeton Model Congress

As the earliest and most extensive conference of the year for the Model Congress club, Princeton Model Congress always serves as an exciting kickoff to the delegation season. The conference, hosted in Washington D.C. by Princeton University, welcomed over a thousand gifted students from around the nation. The conference featured four action-packed days, beginning in the late evening on Thursday, November 15th and stretching to midday Sunday, November 18th. Although a competitive conference, the 14-member Maggie Walker delegation was awarded four individual awards: Joey Mistretta (‘19) won best delegate for his committee, and Emily Dai (‘19), Alan Lai (‘19), and Amanda Perez (‘21) received honorable mentions.

Despite long hours in committee sessions, late-night deliberations over bills, and the frigid Washington weather, the Model Congress delegation enjoyed every minute of the conference. Described club president Spencer Smith (‘19), “Going to conferences has to be the best part of Model Congress. You get to debate politics and policy with more than a thousand students from across the country all while staying in a hotel with some really cool people.” Referring to this year’s unforseen success, Smith added, “It’s been incredibly rewarding to see our delegation progress and mature over the years, especially in our recent successes at PMC.”

First-timer Amanda Perez (‘21) was equally thrilled about this year’s PMC. Perez said, “I really enjoyed PMC, even though it was my first time ever being a delegate for Model Congress. Being in committee and debating legislation with other people from around the country was super fun!” Other newcomer Abby Joyce (‘20) enjoyed her first time as well, especially all the free hours and one-of-a-kind activities PMC boasts. “I  had fun during the free time,” she commented. “I went shopping and toured the Library of Congress.”

Yet PMC, for the Model Congress club, was more than just a fun weekend. Every year, it provides the delegates with key presentational skills, exposes them to differing points of view,  builds their confidence as political thinkers, and most importantly, teaches them a deeper meaning of American democracy. As a whole, the group viewed the conference as a fun yet formative experience. Commented Smith, “Model Congress has taught me not to monkey around 🙈🙉🐵”.

VAMUN

Over the weekend of November 17th, Maggie Walker’s team of 50 delegates returned to the University of Virginia in Charlottesville for VAMUN XXXVII. Throughout the long weekend, the group debated key international issues and worked to solve some of the world’s most pressing problems in a variety of committees. In the UNICEF committee, delegates discussed the lack of clean drinking water for the world’s children, and in the humorous Committee for Harry Potter and the Dark Lord’s Ascension, delegates debated the best way to bring about the return of the Dark Lord, expanding his reign of terror. Over the course of the three days, the Maggie Walker delegates fine-tuned their skills in public speaking, formal writing, and collaboration as they negotiated and compromised solutions to global challenges.

Julia Ochsenhirt (‘20), in her third year of Model UN, really enjoyed her VAMUN experience. “It’s really well run,” she says, adding, “They’re much more on top of things than other conferences.” VAMUN is an especially enjoyable conference for most participants, largely because of its fun location. Charlottesville offers a lot for a Model UN Conference, with bountiful restaurants and shops all featuring the the town’s upbeat culture. Student favorites in Charlottesvilles included Got Dumplings, Bodo’s Bagels, and the beloved Mellow Mushroom.

VAMUN, in addition to its enticing extracurriculars, attracts top schools from all across the East Coast, making it an extremely competitive conference. Because of its competitive nature, only three Maggie Walker students won awards. Although the delegation experienced less successes than previous years, the conference nevertheless served as a great learning experience for experienced and novice delegates alike. Emma Chun (‘20), remarked that she had an overwhelmingly positive first experience with Model United Nations, and was particularly impressed by the wide range of participants. “It was really cool to work with so many people from all across the country,” she noted, adding, “I can’t wait for the next conference!”