We The People State Showdown

Back to Article
Back to Article

We The People State Showdown

Photo: Ave Maria Radio

Photo: Ave Maria Radio

Photo: Ave Maria Radio

Photo: Ave Maria Radio

Kate Farmer, News Editor

On Friday, February 1st, the Maggie Walker We the People team repped their Constitutional knowledge at the We the People State Competition hosted by the University of Virginia. Welcoming a plethora of the best We the People teams in the state, Maggie Walker’s 24 seniors faced stiff competition in order to advance to the national level.

Although tradition seemed to dictate that Maggie Walker would remain victorious and pass on, a recent regional loss to dark horse Freeman caused the team a tad more performance anxiety. Described participant Joey Mistretta (‘19) before the competition, “Essentially our delegation will be going for Round 2 against Freeman. Ever since then it’s really lit a fire underneath us.” Yet like the rest of the team, the upset only encouraged even more rigorous training and preparation. “We’ve been really inspired to beat them, and they’re stronger than they’ve ever been before, but we know we’re better,” he speculated, “so this time around, we’re gonna go and give them everything we’ve got. We’re always excited.” Yet the future of the team did not lie upon their tribulations with Freeman. The team, regardless of whether or not they defeated Freeman, only needed to place top two to move on.

And Maggie Walker blew the competition out of the water! After a particularly stressful Friday crammed with rounds, last minute studying, and energetic argument, Maggie Walker placed first at We the People States! They broke recent tradition with a broad lead, rather than just beating Freeman by 5 or 6 total points. Unit 2, composed of Katy Bortz (`19), Tom Blue (`19), Cara Davis (`19), and Cameron Baird (`19) won best unit.

The Maggie Walker team has their eyes on the prize as they move on to nationals and is ready to bring their all to the state competition. Anyone who strolls by the 3rd floor Forum and listens to the animated chatter and argumentation can see it– and, according to Spencer Smith (‘19), so will the national arena. Emphasized Smith, “It’s grind time.”

Kate Farmer, News Editor

Kate Farmer, a sophomore, is excited to serve as News Editor on the Jabberwock team. She is an avid writer with a passion for journalism, and looks forward...