Library Vision Walk

Back to Article
Back to Article

Library Vision Walk

Photo: Princeton University

Photo: Princeton University

Photo: Princeton University

Photo: Princeton University

Tejas Muthusamy, Staff Writer

Whether you use it to catch up on some light reading or to just get some work done, it is safe to say that a vast majority of Maggie Walker students have spent some time in the library. Mrs. DeGroat, the school librarian, recognizes this and wishes to improve students’ experiences. Last week, she organized Maggie Walker’s first Library Vision Walk, which was a huge success. We sat down with Mrs. DeGroat to get a better understanding of the Vision Walk, and the impact it will have on the Maggie Walker community. Here is the information that you need to know if you want to get involved in the Vision Walk yourself or if you’re just curious:

What was the vision walk?

The vision walk was the second step in a three-step process focused on improvements to the library. The first step was a set of focus groups with Maggie Walker students discussing possible issues with the library, and the third step will consist of a survey at the beginning of the next school year. The vision walk itself was made up of pieces of poster paper taped to the walls between the library and the freshman commons. Around 25% of the student body participated in the vision walk, writing about pros, areas for improvement, and dreams for the future, on those specific pages. Every response, no matter how whimsical or insightful, was critical to Mrs. DeGroat’s plan.

What sparked the vision walk?

For as long as she’s been a librarian here, Mrs. DeGroat has known that she has wanted to help shape the vision of the library, and she believed that listening to the students is the best way to do so. Maggie Walker is one of the few schools in the Richmond area to engage in a visionary change for the library, and so, apart from the help of library assistant Jessie Steadman and a few academics, Mrs. DeGroat has generally had to work alone . Throughout 2018, Mrs. DeGroat took part in webinars related to library management and based many of her ideas of of the lessons she learned there. Her own determination is the driving force behind the project.

Are there any other special initiatives in the works?

Mrs. Degroat has five main initiatives that she hopes to roll out by the end of this year and the 2019-2020 school year. First, she is aiming to solve frustration with getting into library databases through testing having a page for the databases on Schoology. Second, she realizes that the library can be loud, so she has used engineering expertise in designing sound insulation for the room. She is also looking into a trial run of eating in the library during lunch and marketing individual research consultations more. In aggregating data, she also used the website trint.com, which creates transcripts based on recordings. You all can look forward to these in the near future!

Mrs. DeGroat’s personal philosophy relies on her seeking constant improvement in the Maggie Walker community, and it is clear that these values will lead to a better Maggie Walker experience for every dragon.. DeGroat has great plans for the future of the library, and we can’t wait to see them come to fruition!