MENA’s Moroccan Excursion

Back to Article
Back to Article

MENA’s Moroccan Excursion

Photo: Hui Lian, MENA members working at their Fall Fest booth.

Malina Gavris, Features Editor

Spring break is finally here! After an arduous week of tests and projects, students can finally toss their book bags to the corner of their rooms and enjoy the sun. With seven days of freedom, excursions have been planned and trips have been outlined. Among the most exciting is the MENA seminar’s five stop tour. Class participants will have the opportunity to apply what they learned in class during their visits to various Moroccan cities. Students will go on sightseeing ventures, interact with the locals, and experience the culture firsthand. The five beautiful locations that the students will visit include Casablanca, Marrakech, Merzouga, Fez, and Rabat. These cities range from metropolitan shopping meccas to old Saharan boroughs.

The participating students all seem to be very enthusiastic about the trip. Riley Vail-Rhodes (‘19) exclaims that “There are definitely a lot of things I’m excited about. I know a lot of people in the seminar can’t wait for the camel-riding we’re doing in Merzouga, but I’d say I’m most looking forward to flexing my newfound and recently-taught bartering skills in all of the marketplaces. Getting to see the different artisans and craftsmen, like the authentic tannery and ceramics places we’re going to, is also a huge plus”. It’s truly incredible to imagine that our fellow friends and classmates will be embarking on such an adventure. Although full of fun, the trip is also going to be chock full of learning experiences. Krysten Kuhn (‘19) explains that “the MENA trip is to Morocco. It’s an experiential learning trip, so we’re putting to use what we’ve learned this year about gender and culture in this region of the world while hopefully getting to utilize some basic Arabic skills”. The importance of these experiences is immeasurable. Being able to communicate and understand a different culture will help bridge the divides that the world faces today. It is vital that all of us start becoming conscientious global citizens as early on as possible, and the Governor School gives students the opportunities and guidance necessary to progress. Vail-Rhodes sums it up by explaining “Obviously, Maggie Walker is a school that cares deeply about international studies and paying attention to the world around you. This trip, especially, demonstrates the extent to which Maggie Walker tries to develop students into globally-minded and globally-conscious people. Like I said before, a lot of this seminar up to this point had been theory. While studying a culture from a distance is all well and good, the only way to truly understand a place is to go there and try to live a day in the life, as it were.”