Senior Signing Day Ceremony

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Signing Day Ceremony

Photo: WVUA23 News

Photo: WVUA23 News

Photo: WVUA23 News

Photo: WVUA23 News

Asher Llewellyn, Sports Editor

One of the most exciting moments in a student-athlete’s career is receiving a verbal scholarship offer from a college, representing years of hard work and commitment which have lead to that moment; however, nothing is official until they sign a letter of intent. Last Wednesday, seniors Jack Jeffery, Adam Sachs, and Quinn Keatley gathered in the forum along with parents, coaches, and friends to undergo this incredibly important moment, officially committing to compete in varsity athletics at the colleges they will be attending next year. Next year, Jack Jeffrey and Adam Sachs will be running Cross Country for their universities, Boston University and the University of Chicago, respectively, while Quinn Keatley has committed to swim for Roanoke College.

While each of these three seniors made a similar commitment to compete in college, they each took a different path in ultimately arriving at that decision. For Jack Jeffery and Quinn Keatley, it was an easy decision, as they have known since the very beginning of their Maggie Walker athletic careers that they wanted to pursue collegiate athletics. But for Adam Sachs, he never imagined that he would be going to college for Cross Country & Track, or for any sport, for that matter, at the start of high school, and it wasn’t until he ran his first sub-4:30 mile that collegiate athletics began to seem like a possibility.

Sachs similarly didn’t picture himself at UChicago until much later in the college application process, originally considering schools like Tufts, George Washington, or UVA. However, after visiting UChicago this past winter and discovering what he describes as “ the ideal balance of academics, athletics, and extracurriculars,” the choice became clear, and now he can’t wait to experience the Windy City. Sachs especially looks forward to studying economics, political science, and public policy, hopefully at the University of Chicago Institute of Politics, as well as to be part of “the most incredible, diverse, and dynamic group of people” that is the UChicago class of 2023.

Keatley ultimately picked Roanoke College as her future alma mater for its incredible team dynamic and both academic and athletic strengths. “The coaches are absolutely amazing and I love everybody I have met on the team thus far,” she praised. “After going on an official visit last September it wasn’t a difficult decision at all, I knew Roanoke was where I wanted to be.” At Roanoke, she can’t wait to bond with the team throughout the season through practices and meets and to get a new start with amazing coaches and professors. Jeffrey, too, gravitated towards the college he will be attending next year, Boston University, for its combination of academic and athletic prowess, excited to compete at a high level.

Despite the bright futures they have ahead of them, for some it was still difficult to say goodbye to high school athletics, their teams, and their coaches. At the signing ceremony, Sachs was sad to be saying goodbye to his high school running career and moving on to the next chapter of his life, but he was equally grateful for all the people who have supported him along the way, including parents, coaches, teammates, and teachers. Indicative of the moment’s sheer importance in an athlete’s life, Sachs also gave a short speech thanking those who have helped him along the way, recounting a fond memory of when he fell in love with Cross Country on the first day of practice during the summer of his freshman year.

And for Keatley, the experience was nothing but positive. “It was really exciting and heartwarming to see many of my friends there and to have my coaches and parents there to support me,” she said. Jeffrey echoed this sentiment, stating that signing day was made particularly special by the friends and family that came out to support him.

We wish these three seniors the best of luck in their academic and athletic careers at the universities to which they have committed.