Taking a Look at Twin Cities

Malina Gavris, Features Editor

Let’s face it. By this time of year, everyone’s energy sources are rapidly depleting and every last spark of strength that we have is dedicated to cramming for the onslaught of exams and finals. During these laborious weeks, some enjoyment and entertainment is sorely needed. The Drama Department’s production of Twin cities couldn’t have come at a better time. The show ran from Thursday to Friday of last week and helped students take their minds off the first round of AP exams while enjoying a marvelous production. Twin Cities was written and directed by Madoc Kimball  (‘19) who decided to make a one act of the movie Fargo after falling in love with the story. The plot entails an unusually reasoned kidnapping scheme turned to a homicide investigation that is set in the snowy land of Minnesota. It’s a tale of action and suspense with eccentric characters and a healthy dosage of comedic relief. Russell Graviet (‘19) who played the role of Mike Yanagita, recounts the show’s reception;It was amazing! Being a one act, I expected a relatively small crowd, but surprisingly, the black box was practically full both nights, allowing for some great reactions to the show’s many great (though admittedly, dark) jokes and a captive audience to engage themselves in the fascinating plot of this show”. It definitely sounds like the one act was a success and that that actors and audience alike had a fantastic time. It’s even more incredible to note that the show was entirely written by one of our peers and that the cast and crew put in so much time and effort during this strenuous period. The actors had to really hone in their skills in order to bring to life the odd assortment of unique characters.  Graviet explains that some of his favorite parts about the characters“ […] would either be our adoption of highly exaggerated Minnesotan mannerisms (oh yah, real good then, oh geez, etc) or the fun I had every time I acted in my best (and only) scene, having to play a repressed and disturbing, yet slightly endearing, character”. Graviet’s and the rest of the cast’s love for their prospective characters truly brought an air of natural chemistry that elevated the production to the next level. Paige Handy (‘20) who played Lucy Olson, the detective’s sidekick, also chipped in with her favorite memorable moments. “My favorite memory from the show was my scene in which Lucy interrogates Stacy, but she’s clearly nervous and inexperienced. It’s a really funny scene because I lost my temper and my voice got super high and squeaky, and it got a good laugh out of the audience. [Also], the show was really fun since my character was a bit of comic relief among the dark moments, and I got to learn how to do a super fun and funny new accent ”. After interviewing the cast, I could only get upset about not having the time to come watch this spectacular show! Twin Cities was really a once in a lifetime experience here at Maggie Walker as it was a unique solo one act that entailed a wonderful plot, had a talented production team, and was free for all. It’s exciting events like these that make our school a truly special place that all of us will always remember and cherish.