Cancer’s Cookie Crumbles

Maddie Coder, Staff Writer

Thirteen Maggie Walker students volunteered one Sunday to raise money and awareness for cancer research by selling cookies at a local hardware store.

Sam McCoy

On September 6th, 13 MLWGS volunteers led by Samantha McCoy (’15) decked out in orange and met at Pleasants Hardware on Broad Street to sell cookies on behalf of late Maggie Walker Student Katie Anderson (’15).

The nation-wide bake sale “Cookies for Kids’ Cancer” was founded by Wendy Martin here in RVA five years ago, when she started a bake sale in Carytown for her son, Liam. He was battling neuroblastoma and was struggling to find the money to receive a potentially life-altering treatment.

After Liam’s passing, the events in Richmond and around the nation have only grown.

Volunteers arrived at 8 A.M. to set up and began selling cookies at 9 in the smoldering summer heat. But the Dragons’ dedication didn’t stop there. Every volunteer offered to stand on the street corners with signs to get donations and sell cookies to people waiting at stoplights.

McCoy said, “The volunteers were so energetic and I could not be any more proud to be a dragon!”
Reki Everett (’15) was surprised at the high level of participation from the RVA community. “Megan Keck (’15)  and I were standing on the street with our signs when a lady approached us.  We didn’t even realize how much money she had given us until a few minutes later, the lady had given us a 50 dollar bill instead of the usual 1 or 5 that most people gave us.”

Once the volunteers told donors about Katie’s valiant battle with leukemia, they were quick to fill the donation bucket with whatever they were able to give.

“We were not selling the cookies. We were pretty much giving them away and welcoming donations for those who would give,” says McCoy.

A national event, Cookies for Cancer raises money for cancer research.

Sam McCoy

The Katie’s Company booth was one of the most successful bake sales out of the 10 sites dispersed through the Metropolitan area. Dragons felt a sense of community at the bake sale, as students from all grade levels came together to volunteer. “I got to hang out with seniors!” said Aamina Palmer (’16).

“Getting MLWGS students together who knew Katie, is one thing. Of course we want to spread her memory. But when students who never met Katie volunteer and are just as excited and motivated to help, it makes me feel like we can really make a difference,” says McCoy.

The Dragons raised $2596 in Katie’s name. McCoy and the Class of 2015 intend to provide more community service opportunities benefiting cancer research in honor of Katie Anderson in the upcoming year.